POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Editor : Re: Editor Server Time
1 Jul 2024 12:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Editor
From: Bruce
Date: 11 Dec 2004 05:01:54
Message: <41bac592$1@news.povray.org>
>>(define-key pov-mode-map "\M-\r" 'pov-complete-word)
>>
>>to your ~/.emacs or ~/.xemacs/init.el or whatever init file you use.
>>The above line makes the <ALT>-<RETURN> combination do the completition.

This may not work in your .emacs, as pov-mode is not started when emacs
is launched. You should probably do it as a lambda function on the right
hook

(pov-mode-hook (quote (lambda nil
    (define-key pov-mode-map [(control c) (control i)] (quote
pov-complete-word)))))

> I was wondering yesterday about if it would be possible to dynamically
> create lists of words that it emacs can complete. For instance if I #define
> myBigObject = union {...} could emacs somehow pick up "myBigObject" as an
> available keyword for completion.

No work to be done : there's a function caled dabbrev which
automatically completes with the word which have previously been typed
in your buffer

(global-set-key [(f8)] 'dabbrev-completion)

For more information and knowing the difference between dabbrev-expand
and dabbrev-completion (not exactly the same behaviour), use C-h a
dabbrev [return]
(C-h => help, a => regexp search)
Note : this is bundled in my xemacs installation, but I think I had to
install it on fsf emacs. Some google(ing will probably tell you where
you can find it

> surely impossible without any lisp knowledge.

Emacs has so many packages that almost everuthing is possible without
any lisp hacking (except for configuration purposes, but can we REALLY
name it hacking?)

Enjoy and have fun!

--
Bruce